American magazine “Science” has recently published a paper introduces a new approach to cancer therapy targeting, it is possible to curb osteosarcoma, brain tumors and certain pancreatic tumor growth, but this approach has yet to be verified by clinical research.
The study by blocking cancer cell to maintain proliferation signaling pathway, to inhibit tumor growth in several aggressive purposes. Found that cancer cells may indicate weakness of genetic markers, the development of new drugs against these weaknesses, is a focus of current cancer research.
Paper co-corresponding author, deputy director of research Dr. Zou force Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, told reporters, if you keep dividing normal cells, chromosome ends will become shorter, and ultimately aging and death. The cancer cells but it will be extended by repairing the ends of chromosomes to avoid death, the way there are two kinds: telomerase and telomeres lengthen Another alternative mechanism (ALT). There are about 85% reliance telomerase to extend the ends of chromosomes in all cancers, the remaining 15% of cancer rely ALT.
Dr. Zou et al rely on the force ALT survival of cancer cells found ATR kinase phosphorylation is a major factor regulating ALT. He said: “If we rely on ALT with drugs that inhibit cancer cell survival ATR, these cancer cells will be killed.”
According to Dr. Zou, there are several invasive tumors mainly rely on ALT survival, including osteosarcoma, brain tumors and pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. So ATR-suppressing drugs. “These types of cancers might be particularly effective.”
Dr. Zou said: “We are conducting animal testing in the near future, we will conduct clinical trials and clinical departments together this is the first one for the survival of cancer rely on ALT targeted therapy may prolong the lives of cancer patients, even cured. some patients, but this treatment need further verified by experiment. “
Leave a Reply